Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Back To Work

Hello everyone! I hear that I am missing a wonderfully long lasting winter back at home, to that I want to talk about what the fall climate is like here in Santiago.

First of all, it does get cold here. I am doing runs in the morning and it is about 40-45 degrees. You might be like that isn't cold it's 20 degrees out right now as I am reading your blog. But the difference here is that it still gets to 80 degrees during the day, so your body never truly gets used to the cold.

Also, there is absolutely no form of heating in these houses. We have an electric stove for the kitchen, and lots of wool. The houses also don't have very good (if any) insulation, so at nights the house gets quite cold. All in all, to battle the cold here in Santiago, you just have to get used to layering. But I wore my winter coat the other day when it was 60F, so there is that. A little fun fact that I have learned about the cold (and getting a cold) here is to always wear socks, if you don't you might catch a cold according to most Chileans.

Llollaplooza

Secondly, I got to go to Llollaplooza two weeks ago. It was held in Parque O'Higgins, which is a beautiful park in a historic neighbourhood. I was impressed with the logistics of the whole operation, given this is South America, everything went smoothly. Things like transportation, bathrooms, picnic areas, waiting lines, and food were well managed.

The music was great, I got to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ellie Goulding, Lorde, Imagine Dragons, Capital Cities, Phoenix, Zedd, and many more. Apart from the great music, we were able to get a glimpse at some of the last remaining hippies here in Chile.

  
We sat here and listened to Red Hot Chili Peppers throughout the night.


Santiago

Since I have returned from my Patagonia trip, Santiago has been back in full swing. During January, Feburary, and up to mid March, people were on vacation. Barrio Univisterio, the neighboorhood where I go to school was practically a ghost town. Now it's like a regular college number of people around.

Since everyone is back to work, the streets are much busier. They aren't overwhelmingly crowded, you just have to learn how to wait in line. Waiting in line is just behind watering the cement here on Chile's top past times list. But really, for a city, the people walk very slow and take their time on the streets. It is actually a nice break from the trot that most people break out into to go from building to building in between classes in the United States.

That's all for now. This is a special week, Semanna Santa, I will be sure to get a post up about how it goes by next week. I just wanted to give a quick update of the past weeks!





No comments:

Post a Comment